Tuesday, September 29, 2009

“The Cliché’s Gotta Stop”


The definition of a Cliché is “A trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse”. Anyone who knows me knows that I can not stand to hear a sermon full of clichés. Please understand that the Bible states in Proverbs 30:5 that “Every Word of God is flawless”. The Word of God doesn’t need anything added to it. Most preachers fall subject to preaching clichés because clichés tend to be crowd pleasers. When you mature in God you will come to realize that these clichés are a bit much. It’s a shame that some church people don’t read Gods Word so they think that most of the clichés they hear are actually scripture. I have listed a few clichés below, but please understand this is a SHORT list compared to how many clichés are out there. Most of these clichés are VERY POWERFUL AND VERY TRUE. I just have a problem when a preacher uses them to make the crowd jump. The problem with replacing the Word of God with these clichés is once I'm done jumping from your hot sermon I leave empty. Men and Women of God it has to stop. I think I will make a tee-shirt that says NO MORE CLICHES

WARNING: None of the Clichés below are Scripture


Cliché List

While you're trying to figure it out, the Lord has already worked it out!

The Lord helps those that help themselves!

Prayer is the key, Faith unlocks the door!

God doesn't put no more on us than we can bear!

My praise is my weapon!

We will understand it better by and by!

Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there!

If you take one step, God will take two!

Clothed and in my right mind!

When I think of the goodness of Jesus and all He's done,My soul cries out Hallelujah!

Blessed & highly favored!

God don’t bless no mess!

Praise yo way through it!

It’s not over til God says it’s over!

Turn it over to Jesus, He will work it out!

God ain't through with me yet!

The devil is a liar & the truth ain't in him!

The Lord told me to tell you!

The more you give, the more is given to you!

That ain't nothin' but the Devil!

I must decrease, so he can increase!

God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!

He is a miracle working God!

So heavenly minded and no earthly good!

Slap your neighbor and tell them “You will get double for your trouble”!

IF YOU HAVE MORE LEAVE A COMMENT AND I WILL POST IT

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog, Great insight..like you said many of the Cliche's are very powerful and very true, we as Kingdom people have to understand that even while these sayings make us feel good, we have to understand the reason behind it, we have to be taught why "God is good all the time and all the time is God is good". Not just knowing that to be fact, but to study the Word and seek God with are own hearts in our own situations to understand through is Word that God is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! The cliche or mystery scripture is: The race is not given to the swift or the strong but to him who endureth till the end! Lol! And the crowd goes wild...Help us Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I too am so tired of preachers and churchfolk in general just quoting away at these cliches without understanding the real meaning behind them and whether or not they are based on scripture. I generally include some cliches in my preaching, but only as a means of qualifying something within my sermon, and most of the time, I try to explain the origin and/or the true meaning behind the cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...is all I can say I was just searching high an low trying to find one of the above thinking it was a scripture.It is true we grow up in church thinking somuch is God and of God. That when we stepp out on our own, you realize that you have to seek God for your self. Creat your own relationship for only he knows the heart!! I thank you for clearing the air!

    ReplyDelete