Friday, May 21, 2010

“Fruitful”


If I were to ask you what makes a person fruitful most people would say having homes, cars, jobs, and money in the bank. Having things of this nature is definitely a way to look at being fruitful. However, in today’s blog I want to look at fruitful people through a different lens. The word fruit, or a variation of it is used fifty-five times in the New Testament and refers to a variation of results. I want to talk about one of these variations, and that is by gauging fruitfulness by how many people you bring to Christ.

Fruit for a believer should be the gaining or converting of another believer. In 1 Corinthians 16:15, Paul refers to the first converts in Achaia as the “First fruits of Achaia”. Although this way of thinking about fruit is uncommon it is still biblical. Jesus said in John 15:8 “This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” Being a fruitful disciple is contingent on how many souls accept Christ as their personal Saviour. This passage of scripture has nothing to do with money but all to do with connecting people to the “True Vine” which is Jesus Christ.

When we bear fruit it pleases God. Colossians 1:10 says, “And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work”. If you are a person that looks to honor God in every area of your life, converting unbelievers is a major way to honor our Father.

As Christians we should have such urgency within us to tell all we know about Christ, Why?Because he is the only way to Heaven according to John 14:6. That urgency should burn within us every time we walk in a Mall, down the street or in a gym. If you want to learn more about witnessing to unbelievers there is plenty of material out there, but the best material to read is the Bible. The book of Acts is a great place to start reading about unbelievers becoming believers.

As I was studying some of the conversions in the Bible I begin to ask myself this question. Am I being fruitful? And I must be 100% honest, I'm not feeling very fruitful. As Christians we have a lot of work to do. There are so many people that don’t know about Christ. I pray that you will read this blog and begin to look at your own life. I will leave you with this simple question. How many people have you told about Jesus just this year alone? If your answer is none, LET’S GET TO WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment