Friday, May 14, 2010

"Christian Persecution"


Salvation doesn't excuse Christians from persecution on earth. It is my experience that many Christian don’t understand the purpose of persecution. Persecution plays a major role in our walk with Christ. We tend to equate anything good with Gods Will but anything that hurts us we say it’s the devil. Paul said in 2 Timothy 3:12 says “In fact, everyone who wants to live a Godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted”. Notice that scripture does not say we might be persecuted it says we WILL be.

As faithful Christians, we must learn to recognize the value of persecution and even to rejoice in it. Persecution allows us to share in a unique fellowship with our Lord and Savior. I love what Paul says in his letter to the Philippians. Philippians 3:10 “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death”. It’s amazing how we all say we want to be like Jesus and even wear WWJD bracelets yet none of us want to suffer with him. If you really want to know what Jesus would do he would do like the scriptures says in 2 Timothy 2:3 “Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus”.

As Christians we need to get to the place where we realize that persecution is good for us. James 1:2–4 says “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” Just as steel is shaped in the fire, so is a Christian’s character.

Trust me I realize that going through trials can be a tremendous challenge, but we have the power of the Holy Spirit within us and the wonderful example of the Lord to encourage us. 1 Peter 2:23 says “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.” There is no better example to have then Jesus Christ who was insulted, beat, and murdered yet he made no retaliation. Let's not get it twisted Jesus could have retaliated if he wanted to, but our King choose to lay down his life. John 10:18 says “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

As I close today’s blog I pray that you read this and begin to rejoice in whatever you’re going through. Hardship makes you constantly rely on Christ. I pray that you find Peace, Joy, and Strength in your situation. I'll leave you with a scripture from Philippians 4:11 “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

No comments:

Post a Comment