Friday, August 21, 2009

Categorizing “Chips”


I have grown up in the church all my life, I was raised in a house where you didn’t have a choice in the matter, it was church or get out lol. I was always at church whether it was for a meeting or choir rehearsal. I can remember times where my mother would sit me and my brother in the back of the church with our homework while she rehearsed. My father was a minister so he was always obligated to being at church as well, it seemed like we where always there. I really can’t complain I actually loved it, it taught me a lot of key principles and it showed me that if you take care of Gods house he will take care of yours. Growing up in church I saw a lot of good and bad. One thing I saw in church was that church people (not the saints) like to categorize sin. Church people tend to let the little sins such as lying pass but then condemn other sins such as fornicating. Romans 6:23 teaches that “the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.” God does not categorize sin, the Word says that “Righteousness exalts a nation, But sin is a reproach to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). For the sake of illustration lets not use the word “SIN” let’s replace that with “CHIPS”. Just like there are many different chips there are many different kinds of sins. Romans 3:20 talks about how “through the law we become conscious of sin.” The Bible gives us clear examples of sin. Exodus 20 is where you can find the 10 commandments. Now please understand I have no problem being rebuked if I’m eating chips, I’m grateful that God has placed people in my life that will call me to the carpet when im wrong. But please don’t rebuke me for slipping and eating Lay’s potato chips and you still have Doritos on your mouth. Let’s rebuke all sin. Paul asked God in Romans 6:1-2, “Shall we continue is sin that grace may abound, But God forbid,” the scripture then says, “How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?” That’s what we have to do become DEAD TO SIN. Please know the devil will only temp you with chips that you like. I don’t like Salt & Vinegar chips so the devil won’t tempt me with those, but a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos will be a little harder to resist. 1 Corinthians 10:13 starts out saying, “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man.” Its common, the devil looks at what you like and tempts you with that (He is such a punk and he doesn’t play fair). But the rest of the verse says “but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” Whenever temptation arises there will always be away of escape or a window of opportunity to say NO THANKS. When it comes to being delivered from sin I mean Chips :-) you must pray that God searches your heart. Mark 7:21-23 says “21For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: 23All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.” Lets not just get caught up on outward sin there are many other sins that aren’t visible. Did you know that not having faith is a sin? Romans 14:23 states “everything that does not come from faith is sin.” (Lack of Faith is a bag of chips nobody ever deals with). What that scripture is saying is when I believe the doctor’s negative report over the healing power of God it is a sin. Or not having faith that God can bring my son off the street, that’s sin. Anytime you doubt God you are in sin. We serve a God that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think “Ephesians 3:20”. So moving forward lets not categorize sin lets look for ways to live Holy. Hebrews 12:14 says holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord. All this talking about chips has made me hungry for food not sin :-)


Thanks for reading the WattsFactory Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment