Tuesday, August 17, 2010

“Hitting the Ceiling”


Have you ever felt like your prayers were hitting the ceiling and then coming back down? Have you ever spent time praying and got up and felt that your prayer never left the room you where in? Well this is a common feeling that many Christians share. Some of the greatest men of the Bible have struggled with this same feeling of separation and disconnection to the Throne. David felt this same thing in Psalms 13.

So how do we overcome this feeling? Well.... I can’t speak for everyone but I feel a disconnect when I know I haven’t been consistent in my prayer time. Every good relationship is launched off the platform of communication. One of the most dangerous things we can do in a marriage is stop talking. The truth is God delights in hearing from his children. In fact God wants us to give him no rest when it comes to prayer Isaiah 62: 7.

I have also found that praying for myself to much stagnates my prayers. Again I’m not sure how your wired but as for me I feel a real connection to the Throne when im praying for others. James 5:16 “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” When I was young in the faith all of my prayers where centered around me, as I continue to grow im finding that my best prayers are prayers for others. Have you every prayer for someone else and you needed the same thing? That’s the type of prayers I like to pray.

Another hindrance is my motive behind the prayer. Are your prayers for a show or are they a means to reach our Heavenly Father? Praying so you can sound spiritually deep can hold your prayer back. When Christ began to teach about how to pray in Matt chapter 6 notices he starts out with how not to pray. Matthew 6: 5&7 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men.” “And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

Then there are times that we think our prayers hit the ceiling when really God heard them and probably answered them. Here is an example: If a man ask God to help him with his anger, do you think God removes the anger or does he put the man in a situation that normally will make him angry? Or if a man ask for God to help him with his finances does God drop money in his lap or does God provide opportunities for him to take advantage of. Just because your answer isn’t packaged the way you want it doesn’t mean it went unanswered.

My prayer today is that you will not treat God as a vending machine, or as a genie is a bottle, but that you will love him with everything in you. Prayer strengthens your faith; the more you pray the more faith becomes activated in your life. Your prayers should always line up with Gods perfect will. The prayer “Not my will but Your will be done” is not a lack of faith prayer but a prayer that is humbled before a sovereign God.

Thanks for checking out Wattsfactory Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment